Monday, March 5, 2012

You catch more flies with honey, than vinegar

Let's all take a moment and think about how times we've heard that phrase in our lives? I'm guessing quite a few, I have to admit I most often hear it as a comment on my current attitude. Basically a mom way of saying if you were nicer you might have gotten your way.

Luckily when I heard it today it was a description of my behavior, but a compliment as I was already being "honey" and not "vinegar".

That being said I really really dislike confrontation, to the point that I pretty much avoid it at all costs. Today I referred to myself as a "weenie" in this regard. I just really can't handle confrontation, and even worse to think I may have caused the issue to begin with. I will admit I have gotten better as I've gotten older but for the most part I am still a big "weenie".

Today was a perfect example. We live in a small apartment that is in an older building which often can leave a lot to be desired in a home. We have always had issues since we moved into the unit, in fact that day we moved in I found a leak where rain water was seeping into the wall. They did fix that but now I have this gorgeous water design on my bedroom wall.

Friday we came home to a flooded dining room floor, and yes the dining room is carpeted. So this was not the first time this had happened to us, we knew exactly what was causing our aquatic themed dinner. The drip pan for the hot water heater also collects the condensation drainage for the A/C. Well the drain gets clogged with dust of something and the pan fills up, overflows and then floods the apartment floors.

I had just had it. We found this on a Friday @ 5pm which means we get to wait all weekend to talk to someone in charge about these issues. The poor little maintenance guy who barely speaks english came and dried out the floor as best he could and left us with a floor fan to finish the job.

Well the apartment absolutely reeked after that, like a stale mildew/mold smell. No matter of febreeze could fix this smell. The longer I waited to speak to management the more upset I got. Like I said this has happened to us before, several times and each time no real permanent fixes have been offered up.

I looked up the corporate office's telephone number and called them. I was given an email address to the regional vice president of Heritage properties. I sent her a very lengthy email voicing my complaints and concerns and my demands I guess you would say, I read it like 20 times and then I clicked send.

Oh my goodness, my wimpy side lost it after that. I had a full blown anxiety attack once I realized what I had done in my moment of anger. I worried myself sick for about 45 minutes until she responded to me and there was no complaints or issues, just "Ok ma'am, I apologize, we will get this fixed ASAP." I was floored that she didn't argue back with me or make excuses. It was wonderful. They came and starting working on the apartment this afternoon and she called me to keep me informed as to the plan and their progress in solving our problem.

It is kind of ironic because I was really kicking myself for not being more "vinegar" in this situation and telling the property manager where she could stick it. I'm not sure why but I'm almost a little jealous of those who can "tell someone off", I honestly don't think I ever could.

No comments:

Post a Comment